Electro again this week, featuring a small run of the Numbers Rhythm.
Right-click save-as here
or on the spectrogram above to download the mix from
- Link & E621 / Antacid (Jedi Knights Remix)
- Eggfooyoung / Electric Motivators
- MMT-8 / Mindlocked
- Burrito Boys / Untitled [AT05 B2]
- Knightz of Bass / Space Invaders
- Knightz of Bass / Da M-Pire (Sideshow Remix)
- Man Parrish / Man Made
- DJ R21 / Style
- Intelligent Concept / Just Get On Down
- State Logik / Electro Boogie
- Cyber-Funk / Untitled [UR0117 B2]
- Egyptian Lover / Sintropolis
- Eggfooyoung / B-Boys Take Control
- Michna / Quadruple Gold Dipped
- Santogold / Anne (Switch Mix, Hydroz Re-Rub)
- Kraftwerk / Numbers
- Mandroid / Horizon
I've been holding on to some of these tracks all summer. Zaps and squeaks and
all kinds of fun.
The back half of this mix - from Sintropolis through Numbers - features what
I like to think of as the "numbers rhythm". Meaning the particular drum sequence
(specifically the arrangement of kick and snare) as heard in Numbers by
Kraftwerk. It's a common pattern present in a lot of Electro. See for example:
Running, a lot of freestyle, etc.
It's a pattern I absolutely love. Some people never tire of a straight TR-909
house beat. I never get tired of the numbers rhythm.
The version of Anne by
Santogold I played in this show is a weird one. It's
an edit ("Re-Rub") of a remix (Switch Mix) of the original.
Switch is credited as
producer of the original Anne; he later remixed it (by adding a hook based on
Kraftwerk's The Model, as well as the drum sequence and some samples from
Numbers) for a mix CD called Top Ranking - A Diplo Dub.
Hydraulix took that track
and doubled its length, then distributed it as the Hydroz Re-Rub. It was
originally available for download on Myspace, or maybe Soundcloud, but it's
Eggfooyoung, AKA Adrian Michna, is a monster. I've now played every
beat-driven track on the Breakdance & Motivate EP
on this show. It's one of my favorite records. Four cracking electro tracks.
Drum machine, bass, FX, and ambient sounds. It's so, so good.
And that's it. Time to sleep.